Opening Montage and Other Changes
rocket21 Offline
Administrator

Opening Montage and Other Changes
Appears as if they've made some changes to the show since Howie's Trump visit, such as the opening montage now being Howie setting up the following hour of the show and some "Howie Carr" intros, with Howie starting the show before the song is over. I do like that the opening song is taking up as much time, however I do wish they'd put in at least a few current news clips.

They've also changed up the Chump Line a bit, putting the ad in the middle of it...I suspect that may be more effective, and it certainly changes the pacing. Perhaps they can just cut out the sound of the phone dialing and instead just have it start at the ringing tone.

Nevertheless, good to hear them adding more show time, as the ads have really cut it down.
07-27-2017 06:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dirty_fingers Offline

RE: Opening Montage and Other Changes
Also Grace and Steve are becoming regular members of the show rather than people working behind the scenes. Howie's show has always been this way, but they seem to be getting increasingly more airtime, more than VB and Sandy used to get. It's not a bad thing, I like them. I think Howie is trying to appeal to a younger audience.
07-27-2017 11:27 AM
rocket21 Offline
Administrator

(07-27-2017 11:27 AM)dirty_fingers Wrote:  Also Grace and Steve are becoming regular members of the show rather than people working behind the scenes. Howie's show has always been this way, but they seem to be getting increasingly more airtime, more than VB and Sandy used to get. It's not a bad thing, I like them. I think Howie is trying to appeal to a younger audience.

Good point...seems like more Steve and Grace this week. Steve's been pretty funny sniping at Howie, and Grace's segments have been good too.
07-27-2017 04:25 PM
raccoonradio Offline

This way with Howie setting up each hour he can mention breaking news like "Priebus is out,Scarimucci's wife divorcing him".
07-29-2017 03:14 AM
rocket21 Offline
Administrator

(07-29-2017 03:14 AM)raccoonradio Wrote:  This way with Howie setting up each hour he can mention breaking news like "Priebus is out,Scarimucci's wife divorcing him".

Indeed...it also places a little more content in the show, as there are so many advertisements.

The second segment of the hour is particularly busy, coming out of the 5 minute commercial break, starting with the Howie web site/merchandise bumper ad, followed by "this half hour is sponsored by" followed by "the poll question is sponsored by."
07-29-2017 09:18 AM
dirty_fingers Offline

(07-29-2017 09:18 AM)rocket21 Wrote:  Indeed...it also places a little more content in the show, as there are so many advertisements.

The second segment of the hour is particularly busy, coming out of the 5 minute commercial break, starting with the Howie web site/merchandise bumper ad, followed by "this half hour is sponsored by" followed by "the poll question is sponsored by."

Don't forget that his telephone line has a sponsor that he shills for every time he takes a call: "...you're next on the General Communications listener line."

Also the Cheap Bastard Deal is basically a segment-long advertisement. I always skip past it as there is no show content.
07-30-2017 09:02 PM
Cap'n Spackle Offline

(07-29-2017 09:18 AM)rocket21 Wrote:  The second segment of the hour is particularly busy, coming out of the 5 minute commercial break, starting with the Howie web site/merchandise bumper ad, followed by "this half hour is sponsored by" followed by "the poll question is sponsored by."
That doesn't bother me, but I bail whenever he has a "guest" who's actually there for an infomercial, like the "Car Guy". Same goes for the morning show.
08-02-2017 11:41 AM
rocket21 Offline
Administrator

(08-02-2017 11:41 AM)Capn Spackle Wrote:  but I bail whenever he has a "guest" who's actually there for an infomercial, like the "Car Guy".

That is tough to listen to, as the only advice he really seems to have is to purchase a used car from his company. Not quite as bad as the old Barry Armstrong infomercial segments, but close.
08-02-2017 08:42 PM
dirty_fingers Offline

It reminds me of how a caller once described the show: "It's the Commercial show with interruptions by Howie Carr."
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2017 05:14 PM by dirty_fingers.)
08-03-2017 05:14 PM
rocket21 Offline
Administrator

New today I think, they're playing Who Do You Love/show identification after the bottom of the hour break instead of normal bumper music.
08-15-2017 06:02 PM