Opening Montage and Other Changes
rocket21 Offline
Administrator

RE: Opening Montage and Other Changes
Starting last week, they've moved the poll question to the bottom half of the hour. I think this particularly makes sense in the later hours of the show, as it seemed odd to have a final check of the poll results with 45 minutes of show remaining.

Also noted that they're starting to put a soundbyte in the Who Do You Love bumper. I like this when it's relevant to the upcoming segment (as opposed to the old 2 minute montage, when particular clips grew stale the 2nd or 3rd time around).
09-07-2017 05:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Down4Breakfast Offline

(09-07-2017 05:51 AM)rocket21 Wrote:  Starting last week, they've moved the poll question to the bottom half of the hour. I think this particularly makes sense in the later hours of the show, as it seemed odd to have a final check of the poll results with 45 minutes of show remaining.

Also noted that they're starting to put a soundbyte in the Who Do You Love bumper. I like this when it's relevant to the upcoming segment (as opposed to the old 2 minute montage, when particular clips grew stale the 2nd or 3rd time around).

That's if he actually DOES the poll question, yesterday he didn't. However when he was in Worcester he couldn't get (think of) his phone #, so some things haven't changed.

The thing that grinds my gears is the almost continual bombardment of ads. I hit the mute button if I am listening via the radio on the way home. I was always like "This hour of commercials is sponsored by Howie Carr, who will make more pitches than a MLB starter - oh and may have a little content as well..."
09-29-2017 02:43 PM
dirty_fingers Offline

The ads are getting out of hand. Also the show is getting very Grace-heavy and I'm having trouble getting through the whole thing. That coupled with his horrible fake laugh and his new penchant for whispering his punch lines so I can't hear them has sent me searching for new podcasts to fill the void. I still listen, but I find myself hitting the fast forward button a lot more these days.
10-05-2017 11:49 PM
rocket21 Offline
Administrator

I agree that the advertising is getting out of control. Nevermind the regular ads, the sponsored by spots, etc., but also the infomercials (such as the Car Guys segments...Wednesday's was a bit over top, as there was almost no content). I like the increased involvement of Grace, as I think it keeps the show fresh and keeps Howie on his toes.
10-06-2017 09:08 PM
dirty_fingers Offline

I hate to keep grumbling, but Howie continued a long tradition of giving away real Red Sox World Series tickets, of course the games will not be played. But Howie's new idea of "Giving away" the tickets is to have listeners buy something from him, then he will give them a pair of the tickets. What's next, will I have to buy a t-shirt to get on the chump line?
10-10-2017 11:37 PM
rocket21 Offline
Administrator

I fell for that last year (buy something from the store and get a World Series tickets), only to find out there were no tickets shipped with my order.

I think it's a funny gag, but I actually would like to get some fake World Series tickets one of these years.
10-11-2017 06:51 PM
Cap'n Spackle Offline

This "detoxify" tea crap that he keeps pushing is the same type of snake-oil as the ads he made fun of back in the Entercom days that gave me my moniker, only back then he wasn't the one taking a cut.
10-12-2017 12:51 PM
Down4Breakfast Offline

By the time he gets through reading all the sponsors and reading his number out to the audience in any given segment he barely has time to say "I'm Howie Carr" before there's another commercial avalanche.

Remember when commercials were "an interruption?" Now they are making any content on the show more like the interruption...
10-12-2017 02:16 PM