Giving up on Howie
dirty_fingers Offline

Giving up on Howie
For a number of reasons I have stopped listening to Howie. The first and most frustrating for me is the podcast fiasco. I work odd hours so I can't listen to the show live, and the podcast is my only option. For years he had a normal podcast that I could listen to easily by subscribing to it in my podcast app. Then came the paywall, then the frustration of podcasts, which cost fans real money but were seldom published in a timely manner, sometimes not at all. Now the paywall is gone, but the podcast is not a podcast, it's an MP3 that you can only download on a computer, not on an iphone. It's a project that no other host makes me go through to listen to their show.

Next are the ads. I understand that it's a business, but when the show comes back from commercial break, the ads don't stop. Howie will do live reads for advertisers. OK, all hosts do it, but not as much as Howie. Then he peppers the show with more ads to hawk his book, upcoming appearance, (read bookselling event,) or cheap Howie-branded merchandise. To top it off, there are sponsorships for the chump line, the telephone call-in line, and God knows what else.

Then there is the show content. I am not a fan of Steve. I understand that some of his attitude is for the show. He will take up a position opposite of Howie to provide some back-and-forth. If they all agreed on everything it would be a little boring. VB was the same way, but not obnoxious.

The ditzy bubblehead Grace character is wearing thin for me too. Maybe that's how she is in real life, maybe it isn't, I don't know. I just know I can't take her anymore. She has killed the Biff Buffington segment. I used to be slightly amused by it, now I reach for the skip button when he announces that it's coming up.

Another thing I can't stand is his new penchant for whispering. He does this more and more, he seems to think that he is emphasizing things by whispering them. Maybe he's right, after all he's the broadcast professional, not me. All I know is that I listen to the show mostly when I'm working or driving, so when he whispers he is often drowned out by background noise.

My last gripe is the perv content. It's enough already. I know Howie goes for tawdry stories and sleazy politicians, so this topic is easy for him, but having a segment devoted to it every day is too much for me. And the hypocrisy is a little jarring too: "Coming up next we'll have a story about a dirty old man taking advantage of a pretty young girl, but first let me tell you about the new Grace calendar..."

Sorry about my rant, but I'm really disappointed at how thoroughly Howie has jumped the shark. I'm upset because I really liked the show for many years, but it has turned into something I can't listen to any more. I really miss the days of Sandy and VB...
02-20-2018 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rocket21 Offline
Administrator

RE: Giving up on Howie
Agreed about the long running podcast debacle. I do prefer being able to just download mp3s to listen on my phone or computer.

Agreed about way too many ads.

I think Steve and Grace have given the show a much needed boost; at times during the latter WRKO days, it felt like it was being phoned in.

I still don't notice the whispering. I find the connection issues over the past month to be much worse.
02-21-2018 07:20 AM
raccoonradio Offline

I think Howie on facebook makes a live video of the show and you can go back to it later and watch again, free
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...7272378049
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018 10:25 AM by raccoonradio.)
02-21-2018 10:16 AM
ImHowieCarr Offline

I also find the show less enjoyable lately, mostly because of the increased number of
promos, sponsorships, etc. But i'll keep listening until i find something better.

I'd be curious to know how Howie's ratings are doing lately. If the few of us here are losing interest, is that true of all his listeners?
02-25-2018 05:36 PM
dirty_fingers Offline

(02-21-2018 10:16 AM)raccoonradio Wrote:  I think Howie on facebook makes a live video of the show and you can go back to it later and watch again, free
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...7272378049

Thanks for that, but it's still a big project for me to try to find a way to pull the audio from facebook and get it onto my iphone so I can listen to it offline. By the time I get all of that done it's the next day and everything is old news. Plus, that's way more work than I'm willing to put into listening to the show.

I have other shows that I listen to where the podcasts automatically and seamlessly download to my iphone without me having to do anything at all. That's how podcasts should and do work. Howie still does not provide his listeners with a podcast.
02-28-2018 01:54 AM
rocket21 Offline
Administrator

I prefer being able to just download the MP3s straight onto my phone.
03-01-2018 10:50 PM
dirty_fingers Offline

(03-01-2018 10:50 PM)rocket21 Wrote:  I prefer being able to just download the MP3s straight onto my phone.

How do you do that with an iphone?
03-02-2018 12:55 PM
rocket21 Offline
Administrator

I'm an Android user, so I don't know. I haven't used the latest incarnation of Howie's podcast (the paywall fiascos were enough to change my listening habits), but I usually just click links and download the files, then open them in the default music program.

With Howie's current podcast setup, there's a small down arrow in the upper right corner of the player. Clicking that should start the mp3 download directly to your device.
03-02-2018 09:30 PM
dirty_fingers Offline

Sadly, it doesn't work with an iphone. Believe me, I've tried. It's OK, there are many hosts who want me to listen to their shows, so that's what I do. Big Grin
03-05-2018 10:31 PM